The Health Benefits of Water
We are surrounded by water everywhere we look - in lakes, in rivers, in our kitchen sinks, and most importantly in our bodies. Water is an important part of our lives and we depend on it. The average adult body is made up of 55 to 75 per cent water, which is two thirds of your body weight. Every day your body has to replace two and a half quarts of water. So the glass of water that you drink after your meal or after a good workout literally becomes you!
If you were deserted on a tropical island, which many of us sometimes wish we were, you could survive without food for about two months. However, without water, you could only survive a few days. This should give you an appreciation of how important it is for your body.
Here are a few facts you should know about water:
- Aids in digestion and absorption of food
- Regulates body temperature and blood circulation
- Carries nutrients and oxygen to cells
- Removes toxins and other wastes
- Cushions joints and protects tissues and organs
- Contains no calories and it can serve as an appetite suppressant
- Helps the body metabolize stored fat
- Increases energy level
- Hydrates skin, giving it a healthy glow
Start drinking more water and try to cut down on your caffeine because it dehydrates you even more. Start drinking more water and see how your body benefits from it!